If you shop for car insurance, there is no shortage of insurance companies available. Although there are many different car insurance providers, not all companies will offer the coverage you need at the price you can. With so many choices, it is important to find what is in harmony with your budget and your coverage needs.
To help you narrow your choices, we have evaluated several top insurance providers. Based on our in -depth expert analysis, this is the best car insurance company for 2022.
Best Car Insurance Company 2022
- Best Overall: State Farm
- Best Cheap Car Insurance and Best for Drivers Under 25: Erie
- Best for Drivers with a DUI: Sentry
- Best for High-Risk Drivers: New Jersey Manufacturers Group
- Best for Multiple Vehicles and Best for Bundling with Home or Other Policies: Progressive
- Best for Military Families: USAA
- Best for Discounts: Allstate
- Best for Safe Drivers: Auto-Owners
Compare the Best Car Insurance Companies
|Company||Price||Purchasing Options||Available Discounts||Other Available Coverage|
|$2,089||Local agent, phone, online||13||Home, renters, life, health, pet, disability, liability, small business|
Best Cheap Car Insurance and Best for Drivers Under 25
|$1,621||Online, phone, local agent||8||Motorcycle, RV, marine, renters, flood, personal valuables, life, umbrella, business, identity theft|
Best with a DUI
|$4,392||Local agent||6||Commercial auto insurance, dealership auto coverage, motor carrier coverage, physical damage insurance, non-trucking liability insurance|
|New Jersey Manufacturers (NJM) Group
Best for High-Risk Drivers
|$1,694||Phone, local agent||12||Liability, comprehensive, collision, underinsured/uninsured, medical expenses, classic and collector car, motorcycle and ATV, boat and personal watercraft|
Best for Multiple Vehicles and Best for Bundling with Home and Other Policies
|$2,430||Online, phone||13||AT/RV, marine, classic car, golf cart, flood, homeowners, mobile home, renters, travel, umbrella, pet, wedding, personal|
Best for Military Families
|$1,471||Online, phone, agent||12||Motorcycle, ATV/RV, classic car, marine, aviation, renters, landlord, umbrella, flood, farm, mobile phone, life, health, business|
Best for Discounts
|$2,641||Online, phone, local agent||16||Homeowners, renters, motorcycle, marine, classic car, RV/ATV, business, life, pet, identity theft, tuition|
Best for Safe Drivers
|$1,785||Local agent||13||Bodily injury liability, collision, comprehensive, property damage liability, medical payments, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage|
Guide for Choosing the Best Car Insurance Companies
Should You Purchase Car Insurance?
Car insurance can help protect you if you are in a collision with another vehicle or object. Any damages your vehicle sustains will be your responsibility unless you have insurance to cover your losses. Certain types of auto insurance can also cover legal fees and medical bills for yourself, your passengers, and the other vehicle’s passengers.
Most U.S. states require that drivers meet minimum car insurance requirements in order to legally operate a vehicle.
How to Compare Car Insurance Companies
It’s important to consider several factors to find the best auto insurance for your needs.
- Pricing: If you have a specific budget in mind for car insurance, compare quotes from multiple providers so you can find coverage that aligns with your budget.
- Discounts: Many auto insurance companies offer several ways to save, such as discounts for safe drivers, college students, or military members.
- Coverage types: Most insurance companies cover the basic comprehensive and collision coverage, but there are also other, specialized coverages that may not be so commonly found, such as electric or classic car insurance.
- Policy limit: Each type of coverage comes with a maximum limit that shows exactly how much of your losses will be covered by your insurance company. Some companies may offer more coverage than others, which becomes important when you drive a luxury or classic car.
- Company ratings: Certain industry ratings can help determine what kind of experience you’ll have with an insurer. Consider ratings like J.D. Power for customer satisfaction and AM Best for financial stability.
- Availability: Before you buy a policy, you need to be sure that the insurance company you choose will actually service your area. Some companies like Sentry are only available in a handful of states.
Selecting a Car Insurance Company
You must offers a convenient online shopping tool for car insurance that allows you to easily compare coverage and pricing from multiple car insurance providers. Once you select the right car insurance company for you, you can move forward with an official quote from the provider. These are often available either online, by phone, or directly through an insurance agent. After purchasing a policy, you can typically manage your account and pay your premiums online or by working directly with your insurance agent.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Does Car Insurance Work?
An auto insurance policy protects you against personal and financial liability if you’re involved in a car accident. It can also protect from natural types of damages, such as losses due to a flood or fire.
What Does Car Insurance Cover?
Car insurance covers damage to your vehicle, as well as other vehicles or property if you’re involved in an accident. It can also cover medical bills should there be any injuries and any legal fees that may arise after a collision.
What Are the Different Types of Car Insurance?
There are several types of car insurance, including collision coverage for accidents and comprehensive coverage for natural acts, like hurricanes or hail. Other popular types of auto insurance coverage include medical payments coverage and uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage to protect you against drivers with no car insurance. Available coverages can vary from provider to provider, so be sure to consider your specific needs before beginning your search.
What Factors Affect the Cost of Car Insurance?
Insurers use several factors to price your auto insurance premiums, including your age, gender, credit score, and driving history. Certain drivers, such as students, seniors, or military members, may be eligible for extra savings that can help lower the cost of car insurance.
Our team evaluated 25 insurance companies and collected thousands of data points before selecting our top choices. We weighed eight criteria and gave a higher weight to those with a more significant impact to potential customers.
The top picks were selected based on factors like median annual premium (weighted 25%), fairness in pricing methodology (weighted 15%), and regional availability (weighted 15%). We also took into account other features that are important to buyers including complaint scores, consumer satisfaction reports from J.D. Power and Consumer Reports, and company loss ratios.